Welcome

Following the third year of a holiday letter comprised
of my (increasingly complex) life via a (increasingly complex) year-in-photographs, I
wondered what it would be like to join the great experiment of 365 days of photographs.
I'm not a photographer,
I'm a writer. I'm a visual thinker, and if ever there was proof that a photo is worth a
thousand words, it would be the story a photo tells me, or in this case, about me.
Follow me on this adventure, where I
learn about photography, my ability to record my life, my dedication to something (I've
never been known for doing anything everyday) in my posts. I've also discovered I'm
learning about time, the history of it, and the odd practice of recording it, measuring it,
turning it into something tangible, and I'll record these explorations in the sidebar.
As always, feel free
to say anything. My experiment is not a spectator sport.

January 29, 2009

January 29 2009 The First Purchase

We went to the grocery store. He saw the Hot Wheels display. I asked him if he brought his money. He thought about it and said he hadn't. I told him he would need five quarters to get a car. That was last week. Today we went out. He found some change to bring. We went to lots of stores with nothing to buy. This evening I took him to the grocery. He put his hand in his pocket and showed me his money. He had five quarters. Then he got a car. With his own quarters. Having thought ahead. He's four.


"Mom, please take a picture of my new car. Not any of my old cars," pushing them aside.
I used the Indoor setting and took lots of pictures because he wouldn't stop wiggling, moving the car, re-setting things...Ah, a clear shot. Complete with fingers itching to move it again.

2 comments:

Robert Whitten said...

Little kids are amazing... especially if taught right, Which you seem to be doing.

alw_ays said...

Thanks, I was actually marveling at how smoothly he turned my penny-pinching into a lesson. I was blowing him off, he took up the reins and the responsibility. Is that tough love?