Welcome

Following the third year of a holiday letter comprised
of my (increasingly complex) life via a (increasingly complex) year-in-photographs, I
wondered what it would be like to join the great experiment of 365 days of photographs.
I'm not a photographer,
I'm a writer. I'm a visual thinker, and if ever there was proof that a photo is worth a
thousand words, it would be the story a photo tells me, or in this case, about me.
Follow me on this adventure, where I
learn about photography, my ability to record my life, my dedication to something (I've
never been known for doing anything everyday) in my posts. I've also discovered I'm
learning about time, the history of it, and the odd practice of recording it, measuring it,
turning it into something tangible, and I'll record these explorations in the sidebar.
As always, feel free
to say anything. My experiment is not a spectator sport.

January 18, 2009

January 18 2009 The Melted Plastic

Queen of recycling, I hate to throw things away, and I'm always looking at what does go in my trashcan with an eye of suspicion. About a month ago I had an empty chip bag and Googled for what people were doing with them. Besides this fantastic folding, sewing, incredible bag project, there was this melt-it-in-the-oven project that I had grand hopes for. Today was my experiment day. Tools: bag, scissors, hole punch, brad, oven, candle, metal rod, and fire (the last three for detail work).
Result: (which constitutes the vast majority of a family-sized chip bag)


After assembling the flower (which I will likely attach to a bag knit of grocery sacks), I assembled the tools of the project. I realized I was trying to take the shot from the same angle I "always" do, so I changed it toward an angle like the one of the leek soup. I like the perspective, and the feel of utilitarianism, as if the stuff in the foreground contributed, as opposed to complemented, the final product. I also combated shadows, and a strange vivid yellowness from the legal pad, to, I feel, success.

No comments: