Welcome

Following the third year of a holiday letter comprised
of my (increasingly complex) life via a (increasingly complex) year-in-photographs, I
wondered what it would be like to join the great experiment of 365 days of photographs.
I'm not a photographer,
I'm a writer. I'm a visual thinker, and if ever there was proof that a photo is worth a
thousand words, it would be the story a photo tells me, or in this case, about me.
Follow me on this adventure, where I
learn about photography, my ability to record my life, my dedication to something (I've
never been known for doing anything everyday) in my posts. I've also discovered I'm
learning about time, the history of it, and the odd practice of recording it, measuring it,
turning it into something tangible, and I'll record these explorations in the sidebar.
As always, feel free
to say anything. My experiment is not a spectator sport.

January 15, 2009

January 15 2009 The Pun that No One Got

So I had this great idea, to make wrapping paper for my sister-in-law's birthday with junk mail envelopes that I collect for various reuses. Then I decorated them with a little rubber-and-ink pattern, and I even let the children loose on the project. (Come on, you still don't get it?) Two of the letters in her name are made from a lead typesetting die I got at an antique store. I misplaced the letter "A" from my stamp set, so I used my antique die. The other was the first "i" for styling. (You still don't get it?!)

I couldn't decide how to take this photo, so I turned the flash off, angled myself with the light behind me, and aimed nearly 45 degrees on the wrapped gift. The angle is in the gift's wrapping, not in the camera, speaking of 45 degrees. I'm actually quite pleased with the color that came out in this, the little purple punch in the right bottom corner in a kind of yellowed, old paper look. No, Gillian, I did not just call you old; I called the paper old.

****************
P.S. State the pun in a comment. It won't show right away, so everyone will get an equal shot. I'll publish comments and--if no one gets it --the answer, in a few days.

No comments: