Welcome

Following the third year of a holiday letter comprised
of my (increasingly complex) life via a (increasingly complex) year-in-photographs, I
wondered what it would be like to join the great experiment of 365 days of photographs.
I'm not a photographer,
I'm a writer. I'm a visual thinker, and if ever there was proof that a photo is worth a
thousand words, it would be the story a photo tells me, or in this case, about me.
Follow me on this adventure, where I
learn about photography, my ability to record my life, my dedication to something (I've
never been known for doing anything everyday) in my posts. I've also discovered I'm
learning about time, the history of it, and the odd practice of recording it, measuring it,
turning it into something tangible, and I'll record these explorations in the sidebar.
As always, feel free
to say anything. My experiment is not a spectator sport.

July 20, 2009

July 20 2009 There's always something

I've always wanted to be cooler than I was, and I generally have achievable definitions of cool, like Mercedes-Benz ownership, making something useful out of junk, being a supporter instead of a criticizer, being able to help someone with their Calc 3 homework while I slack off, gutting a car, soccer, writing a webpage. Some things I'm not so cool at, like hacky-sack, skateboarding, basketball, photography, net-speak, knowing lyrics and artists and names to songs, weilding power hand tools, painting fingernails, experimenting with ilicit stuff, using a sewing machine, remembering my left from my right.

At tai-chi camp I flaunted a "cool" thing I just learned how to do by opening beer bottles with flat objects like pocket knives, key fobs, and bic lighters. I was really tired of everyone trying to use this little lame claw-like thingie to pry off the lid one wrinkle at a time.

My husband taught me this trick. He's about all the types of cool I will never be, and facilitates the types of cool I'm capable of. He, however, is still cooler.

He can remove a bottle cap with anything. Anything! Case in point:


I'm not so hot at catching the "right moment" but this is just after the "right moment." I stopped his progress so I could prep the camera (auto) and then shot when the top popped but I missed it anyway.

Tomorrow's word: point.

No comments: