Welcome

Following the third year of a holiday letter comprised
of my (increasingly complex) life via a (increasingly complex) year-in-photographs, I
wondered what it would be like to join the great experiment of 365 days of photographs.
I'm not a photographer,
I'm a writer. I'm a visual thinker, and if ever there was proof that a photo is worth a
thousand words, it would be the story a photo tells me, or in this case, about me.
Follow me on this adventure, where I
learn about photography, my ability to record my life, my dedication to something (I've
never been known for doing anything everyday) in my posts. I've also discovered I'm
learning about time, the history of it, and the odd practice of recording it, measuring it,
turning it into something tangible, and I'll record these explorations in the sidebar.
As always, feel free
to say anything. My experiment is not a spectator sport.

May 25, 2009

May 25 2009 Me and My Blue Jeans

This is what I look like most of the time. This is me, in one of my inspired-work moments. This is me in the rain. This is me in my boots and my blue jeans, the significance of I explained yesterday. This is me in my front yard having just dug a drainage trench around the perimeter, in the drizzle. Then the rain came pouring down and I got to watch the water run off the sidewalk into my trench, just like it should. Tomorrow: clearing away the dirt, removing the railroad ties embedded in the ground, filling some areas with the sod I just cut, and moving river rock into the trenches as fill. Maybe. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Maybe I'll stay inside and write all day, or spackle the crappy drywall anchor holes in the closet, or read some magazines. This is me, in the middle of one of ten thousand projects I have going at any one time.



I set the camera on a dirt clod on the sidewalk as much out of the rain as I could get it and set the 10 second timer. It's about time I figured out how to do that, now that there are only, what, six days left in the self-portrait month. However, I have to say that I am still remarkably self-conscious, worse so that I am not actually touching the machine taking my picture. Anything I gained from this month is being lost by the 10 second timer.

No comments: