Welcome

Following the third year of a holiday letter comprised
of my (increasingly complex) life via a (increasingly complex) year-in-photographs, I
wondered what it would be like to join the great experiment of 365 days of photographs.
I'm not a photographer,
I'm a writer. I'm a visual thinker, and if ever there was proof that a photo is worth a
thousand words, it would be the story a photo tells me, or in this case, about me.
Follow me on this adventure, where I
learn about photography, my ability to record my life, my dedication to something (I've
never been known for doing anything everyday) in my posts. I've also discovered I'm
learning about time, the history of it, and the odd practice of recording it, measuring it,
turning it into something tangible, and I'll record these explorations in the sidebar.
As always, feel free
to say anything. My experiment is not a spectator sport.

June 16, 2009

June 16 2009 A Ribbon at a Time

My first conscious breath this morning came with a knowledge that I was not going to make it back to sleep. Instead of asking the darkness of my room for another chance I went ahead and accepted the challenge, moving about the room quietly and starting in on Tuesday's chores. I bucketed and carried the recycling to the curb, and then I broke down the cardboard boxes I had accumulated and stacked them with the glass and paper. I watered the lawn and dug out the railroad ties implanted between the gravel I want to remove and the grass I'm trying to keep alive. Then I went in for breakfast.

Ironically, the house was sold to us with a lawn that needed a hose and sprinkler to water, and me being a stickler for where my water lands, I spent an entire season buying different sprinklers so that it didn't water my sidewalk. Hence also the trenches, though, as I dug them I uncovered a sprinkler system. In the basement there is a Rain Bird box, and a second box. In the side yard there is a backflow device. Pinned to the wall next to the water heater is a map of where the sprinkler system was run. What do you know,mine is not only a mobster house but has a lawn care system in place as well. I love good mysteries. One day we will discover whether this system is intact, as it is 15 years since its installation. In the mean time, I sit on my porch and watch over my soaker hose as it encircles each quadrant one at a time.



I took three photos of this scene and liked the water curtain. The others looked like I was trying to document the fruits of my labor for some legal purpose: very cold and dry. Auto + 24x (max) zoom.

No comments: