Welcome

Following the third year of a holiday letter comprised
of my (increasingly complex) life via a (increasingly complex) year-in-photographs, I
wondered what it would be like to join the great experiment of 365 days of photographs.
I'm not a photographer,
I'm a writer. I'm a visual thinker, and if ever there was proof that a photo is worth a
thousand words, it would be the story a photo tells me, or in this case, about me.
Follow me on this adventure, where I
learn about photography, my ability to record my life, my dedication to something (I've
never been known for doing anything everyday) in my posts. I've also discovered I'm
learning about time, the history of it, and the odd practice of recording it, measuring it,
turning it into something tangible, and I'll record these explorations in the sidebar.
As always, feel free
to say anything. My experiment is not a spectator sport.

June 11, 2009

June 11 2009 Whatever a Body is Obliged to Do

Sometimes there will be days like this. I spoke with two of my best friends last night instead of working, which kept me up until about two, which left me with a bit remaining to do, which caused me to sleep in until about ten, which left me with about an hour to finish the work, which pushed the prep for my students over lunch time, which kept me from eating until after the students left sometime this afternoon, which leads eventually to me in front of this computer yet again today to write to you about nothing of interest I managed to do with my morning, and furthermore no picture of mine of that morning. I'm certain you know what a times table looks like, so you may imagine that and some drugs' prescribing information, and a bit of multi-weight lined graph paper. That is what I looked at all morning.

Yet it was not a photograph-less day, for while I worked my husband and son and niece and nephew took their first fishing expedition of the summer. Fish were caught, bugs bit, no one fell in the river and there were only three pokes of a finger with a fish hook. The day was cool, the sky was bright and the lakes were stocked, though only tiny ones bit this late in the morning. Fishing has never been my thing, for if I'm going to sit somewhere and do nothing, I'm really going to do nothing, not pretend to do something. Yet fishing with kids, never can that be likened to doing nothing. Fishing is one thing, and expedition with the children, something completely different.



The little, dinky, decrepit backup camera was used instead of hauling the photography equipment where children, sharp objects, and water were in play. The info for this photo say it was taken on portrait.

No comments: