Welcome

Following the third year of a holiday letter comprised
of my (increasingly complex) life via a (increasingly complex) year-in-photographs, I
wondered what it would be like to join the great experiment of 365 days of photographs.
I'm not a photographer,
I'm a writer. I'm a visual thinker, and if ever there was proof that a photo is worth a
thousand words, it would be the story a photo tells me, or in this case, about me.
Follow me on this adventure, where I
learn about photography, my ability to record my life, my dedication to something (I've
never been known for doing anything everyday) in my posts. I've also discovered I'm
learning about time, the history of it, and the odd practice of recording it, measuring it,
turning it into something tangible, and I'll record these explorations in the sidebar.
As always, feel free
to say anything. My experiment is not a spectator sport.

April 9, 2009

April 09 2009 Eavesdropping On The Lesson

From the moment she saw the stringed instrument, she was hooked. She wasn't even five yet, and she was all about, "When do I get to play the violin?" After her sixth birthday I told her that if she could do something, anything, every day, because she would need to practice everyday, she could have the violin. Two months later, she had made breakfast every morning for herself and her brother. The violin was ordered, and placed in her tiny hands, and she just glowed. Her teacher is, right now, merely for the introductory "stand right, hold it right, draw this way" sort of instruction. A month later, this tiny girl conducts herself during this lesson with remarkable skill and maturity. She responds perfectly, listens acutely. For a kid who can't carry a tune in a bucket, being a musician is as natural to her as walking.


Zoom of 18x before the violin is put away for the day, from back there, somewhere.

No comments: