Welcome

Following the third year of a holiday letter comprised
of my (increasingly complex) life via a (increasingly complex) year-in-photographs, I
wondered what it would be like to join the great experiment of 365 days of photographs.
I'm not a photographer,
I'm a writer. I'm a visual thinker, and if ever there was proof that a photo is worth a
thousand words, it would be the story a photo tells me, or in this case, about me.
Follow me on this adventure, where I
learn about photography, my ability to record my life, my dedication to something (I've
never been known for doing anything everyday) in my posts. I've also discovered I'm
learning about time, the history of it, and the odd practice of recording it, measuring it,
turning it into something tangible, and I'll record these explorations in the sidebar.
As always, feel free
to say anything. My experiment is not a spectator sport.

February 4, 2009

February 04 2009 A Night Alone

Went to a knitting group at a coffee house tonight, and no one was there. I enjoyed my coffee alone for a while, then took up my knitting and enjoyed double-perling the fish, with 70s afghan yarn and small needles that made my hands cramp. The group over there was discussing the Bible; I always enjoy listening to discussions, and I always enjoy feeling free of the dogma. My two cents had something to do with why the Greeks so easily accepted Christianity, but I didn't put them in. He was listening to music on his laptop, she was working on hers, click click click, and the owner of the coffee shop asserted his beliefs on baking cookies. Some of them drove by, the group in the next room was youthfully noisy. He had an assisting dog, and hot tea. He left somewhere with a guitar on his back and a girl at his elbow. I have no idea where the people come from through that door. He said to someone on the phone about the girl he met on the bus never emailed him. I met a guy on a bus and never emailed him, either. What, your definition of alone is different?

I took this picture at home, being that a camera is another set of eyes and to use it is to disturb the isolation, and I couldn't bring myself to get it out of my pocket at the coffee house. Auto, no flash, florescent lighting.

No comments: