Welcome

Following the third year of a holiday letter comprised
of my (increasingly complex) life via a (increasingly complex) year-in-photographs, I
wondered what it would be like to join the great experiment of 365 days of photographs.
I'm not a photographer,
I'm a writer. I'm a visual thinker, and if ever there was proof that a photo is worth a
thousand words, it would be the story a photo tells me, or in this case, about me.
Follow me on this adventure, where I
learn about photography, my ability to record my life, my dedication to something (I've
never been known for doing anything everyday) in my posts. I've also discovered I'm
learning about time, the history of it, and the odd practice of recording it, measuring it,
turning it into something tangible, and I'll record these explorations in the sidebar.
As always, feel free
to say anything. My experiment is not a spectator sport.

August 12, 2009

August 12 2009 My Recyled Bags.com | Come Learn and Share Information about Recycling, Crocheting & Green Crafting

Knitted Coin Purse

I've enjoyed a lot of use and attention from my recycled grocery sack bag that I knit a couple of years ago, and I've wanted to make a bag from magnetic tape for a while. I've had these movies stashed for ages and couldn't wait to turn them into a carrying vessel. I discovered aluminum needles are better than bamboo for knitting the vinyl magnetic strip. I also learned there's a ton of tape in one two-hour-movie, and also turns out this is as big as I can make a bag in two hours.


It'll be lined with a raw black silk and have either a clasp or a zipper, whatever I can reclaim from a rejected or broken bag at the thrift store. It will also live inside a full sized purse, lined and with matching hardware.

How to Remove the Tape from the Case

Rewind the tape.
Using a small screwdriver, remove the four screws from the back of the VHS tape.
Separate the parts of the casing.
Cut the tape from the empty reel.

Free Change Purse Pattern

Cast on 33 stitches on size 11 aluminum needles.
Knit in stockinette for about 9 inches.
On last row, knit 16 stitches, knit two together.
Fold fabric and cast off with a three-needle bind-off (click for video).
Crochet or blanket stitch up the third edge to finish the bag.


For Original Blog My Recycled Bags
____________________________

Fun at knit night. This blog is also fun because I get to talk about me and my stuff instead of someone else's stuff. Nice. I guess I'm self-centered like that.

Photo: Auto + Flash + fluorescent light + iridescent light (that's a lot of light!)

No comments: